Now the sliced model still looks a little crazy (and physically impossible), so lets wrangle that by adjusting the slice number and slice axes. The slice axes can be adjusted using the blue and orange handles. It is a bit hard to manipulate them at first, but the trick is to use the subtle snapping that happens at the 90 degree points. With a quick flip of the axes, the model looked like I wanted it to (and became physically possible to stand up).
I imported the DXF file into VCarve and adjusted their positions to make it easy as possible to cut the parts. I made two separate plates using the “Layers” functionality in VCarve. I set the paths to all be outside profiles, with a depth equal to the material thickness and set the bit size I was using (0.125"). Then I exported the g-code