In this section I’d like to go over the features this phone holder has in order to understand it better.
The phone holder consists of 4 acrylic pieces and one wooden piece.
- Back Support pieces: These are the 2 long pieces that grip on to the vent and hold the bottom part of the phone.
- Arms: In this design I offer 2 sizes of arms that should fit most commercial phones. The Small sized arms should fit any current Iphone, Galaxy, Pixel, etc.
The large sized arm should fit most plus sized phones. Choose whichever fits your phone best.
- Wooden backpiece: This piece is a key element into making this phone holder work. It is automatically set at 8 mm thick on the easel design, leaving me with a 1 cm gap for my phone to fit. Since my phone has a casing on it should fit snuggly into that 10 mm spacing, forbidding any movement.
IMPORTANT: If you choose to make this design, make sure you measure your phones thickness and adjust it to that size.
This design can be completely disassembled instead of having a bulky phone holder laying around when you’re not using it.
Another great feature about this design is that the pieces are completely customizable. In case your phone doesn’t fit I will add the SVG file so you can modify it as you please.
For this design we will need the following material:
- 8 × 8 inch sheet of acrylic 3/16 inch thick
- 6 × 6 inch bamboo plywood 0.314 inch thick (8 mm)
- Ruler (For measuring phone thickness)
- 150 grit sandpaper
Grab your ruler and measure how thick your phone is.
On my easel design I used an 8 mm thick piece with a 5 mm groove, that gave me 10 mm spacing.
If I were using a phone without a casing. Most phones without a casing are around 7 mm thick, so in this case I’d have to use an 11 mm thick piece of wood instead of an 8 mm thick piece of wood that gave me a 10 mm spacing.
The thicker the piece of wood I use, the tighter the spacing.
Fasten your pieces and carve away.
Grab your 150 grit sandpaper and sand down any rough edges that might be left behind.
In the digital file section I have added 2 files, one is the parts list and the other is the build instructions.